All NewsEducationTV
Equities & FundsCrypto & Digital AssetsAI & TechnologyBusiness & CorporateUS Politics & PolicyGeopolitics & Global RiskMacro, Rates & FXCommodities & EnergyEuropean Politics & MarketsAsia-PacificReal Estate & Property
All NewsHome
← Back to US Politics & Policy

Australia's capital to join gun buyback in response to Bondi Beach attack, Albanese says

Created at 22 Aug · 1:14 AM1 source↑ Market-relevant
IN SHORT

Australia's capital, Canberra, will join a national gun buyback program aimed at enhancing public safety following a deadly shooting at a Bondi Beach celebration. Prime Minister Anthony Albanese announced the initiative, which follows new laws enacted in January to tighten gun regulations and reduce firearms on the streets.

Key Numbers

15deaths in Bondi Beach attack
November 2launch date for NSW buyback
23,000guns in ACT
7,000firearms license holders in ACT
4.1 millionfirearms in Australia last year
1996year of previous major gun buyback
35deaths in 1996 Tasmania shooting

Who's Involved

Anthony Albanese
Prime Minister of Australia announcing the gun buyback
Australian Capital Territory Government
Agreed to participate in the gun buyback scheme
New South Wales
State that committed to the gun buyback plan first
Australia's capital to join gun buyback in response to Bondi Beach attack, Albanese says

↳ Why This Matters

The expansion of the gun buyback program to Australia's capital signifies a continued national effort to address gun violence and prevent future attacks, particularly those motivated by extremism. This initiative reflects a significant governmental response to a high-profile tragedy and aims to bolster public safety by reducing the number of firearms in circulation.

Key facts

  • Australia's capital, Canberra, will participate in a national gun buyback program.
  • The initiative is a response to a shooting at a Bondi Beach celebration that killed 15 people.
  • New laws enacted in January mandate the buyback, tighter license checks, and a crackdown on hate speech.
  • The Australian Capital Territory (ACT) has committed to the scheme.
  • The ACT has 23,000 registered firearms and over 7,000 license holders.
  • The gunmen in the Bondi Beach attack used legally obtained firearms.

Australia's capital, Canberra, will join a national gun buyback program as part of the government's response to a deadly shooting spree at a Bondi Beach celebration. Prime Minister Anthony Albanese announced the Australian Capital Territory's (ACT) commitment to the initiative, which aims to remove firearms from circulation and enhance public safety.

The federal government enacted laws in January mandating the gun buyback, alongside stricter checks for gun licenses and measures to combat hate speech. These actions were prompted by the December 14 attack at a Hanukkah celebration, where 15 people were killed. New South Wales, Australia's most populous state, was the first to commit to the plan, set to launch on November 2.

Albanese expressed gratitude to the ACT government for their collaboration, stating the goal is to prevent future antisemitic terrorist attacks. The ACT currently has approximately 23,000 registered firearms and over 7,000 license holders. Details on when the ACT buyback will commence were not immediately available.

The perpetrators of the Bondi Beach attack, a father and son reportedly inspired by Islamic State, used firearms that were legally obtained. The surviving suspect faces multiple murder charges. Australia recorded a record 4.1 million firearms last year. This buyback is anticipated to be the largest since a similar campaign following the 1996 Port Arthur massacre, where 35 people were killed.

Frequently asked questions

The Australian Capital Territory (ACT) is joining the gun buyback program in response to a shooting spree at a Bondi Beach celebration that killed 15 people and was described as an antisemitic terrorist attack.

The federal government enacted laws for the gun buyback, tighter license checks, and a crackdown on hate speech in January.

The ACT has approximately 23,000 registered guns and more than 7,000 firearms license holders.

Australia's largest previous gun buyback campaign occurred in 1996 after a gunman killed 35 people in Tasmania's Port Arthur.

What Happens Next

01The New South Wales gun buyback program is scheduled to launch on November 2.
02Details on the commencement date for the ACT buyback are expected.

How It Developed

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese announced Australia's capital will join a gun buyback program.
The initiative is a response to a shooting spree that killed 15 people at a Jewish festival.
The government enacted laws in January for the gun buyback and tighter gun license checks.
The Australian Capital Territory (ACT) has agreed to the scheme.
The ACT has 23,000 guns and over 7,000 firearms license holders.
The gunmen accused in the Bondi Beach attack used legally obtained firearms.
Australia had a record 4.1 million firearms last year.
The buyback is Australia's largest since a 1996 campaign after a mass shooting in Tasmania.

Sources

T1
Australia's capital to join gun buyback in response to Bondi Beach attack, Albanese saysReuters

Related Stories

US appeals court dismisses California, Giffords 'ghost guns' challenge
21 Aug · 8:31 PM
Australia advances ACCU integrity reforms bill
21 Aug · 12:05 PM
NSW government seeking advice on controversial court ruling regarding anti-Israel vandalism
21 Aug · 3:11 PM
Teen pleads guilty to arson at Iran International offices in London
21 Aug · 10:44 AM
Brethren church denies paying far-right activists for election stunts
21 Aug · 5:11 AM